If you’re looking for ways on how to connect your Philips TV to Alexa, then this guide is for you.
I will show you how to set up your Philips TV so that it can be controlled using Alexa voice commands.
I’ll also discuss the benefits of using voice commands with your Philips TV, and provide some tips on how to get the most out of using Alexa with your Philips Smart TV.
So whether you’re a beginner or an experienced user, this guide will help you get started.
- Login to the Alexa App on your Philips Smart TV
- Download and Install the Amazon Alexa App on your Smartphone
- Connect using Philips Smart TV Voice Control
Recommended Read: How to Connect your Sony TV to Alexa 2022
How to Connect your Philips TV to Alexa
The first thing to know is that not all Philips TVs support Alexa voice commands and only those supported models will have the Amazon Alexa app pre-installed on the Home screen.
If the TV does not have the app available on the Home Screen then the TV does not support voice commands and you will not be able to control it using your Echo or Echo Dot.
If your Philips TV is one of the supported TVs then you can proceed with the following steps.
Step 1 — Login to the Alexa App on your Philips Smart TV
- Switch on the TV and press the Home button on the remote.
- Navigate to Apps and then select the Amazon Alexa app from the list.
- You will now be required to login to your registered account. Enter the details and sign-in.
The next steps are to be completed on your smartphone
Step 2 — Download and Install the Amazon Alexa App on your Smartphone
- Login to the app using your registered Amazon account.
- Tap on Devices located at the bottom of the app
- Proceed to Add a New Device by pressing the ‘+’ icon at the top right corner of the page
- Next, click on Add Device and then scroll down and tap on TV
- You will be presented with a list of different brands, select Philips.
Step 3 — Connect using Philips Smart TV Voice Control
- Once you’ve located your TV, tap on Next.
- You will now be taken to a Philips Smart TV Voice Control – Basic page.
- Tap on Enable to Use and then sign in using your registered account.
- Agree to the Terms and Conditions and then close the box to continue.
- Click on Discover Devices on the next screen and then Alexa will automatically search for devices that it can connect to.
- Once the app recognizes the TV, you will receive a banner stating “Your Philips TV has been Connected via the Philips Alexa Skill”.
You can now use Alexa via the app to change the channel, increase or decrease the volume, change the output and even turn off the TV.
Note: If Alexa is connected to multiple devices, make sure that you specify the correct name of your TV to successfully control the device. Without mentioning the TV name, you will not be able to control your TV and Alexa will not recognize which device that command was meant for.
What Can Alexa Do with Philips TVs
With Alexa you can do so much more than just change the channel or switch off the TV. Here are some really cool things you can do with Alexa on a Philips TV.
- Switch off the TV
- Change the Channel
- Increase or Decrease the Volume
- Mute the TV
- Launch Apps
- Change the Inputs
- Play/Pause/Rewind/Fast Forward/Stop/Resume video playback
- Connect your LG TV with other Smart Devices
How to Use Alexa with a Philips TV?
Here are a few common ways you can use Alexa to control your Philips TV.
- “Alexa,, open XYZ app” – (Alexa, open Netflix)
- “Alexa, play XYZ show on XYZ app” – (Alexa, play Person of Interest on Prime Video)
- “Alexa, search for XYZ” – (Alexa, search for Comedy Videos)
- “Alexa, play the new XYZ album” – (Alexa, play the new Linkin Park’s album)
- “Alexa, switch to XYZ input” – (Alexa, switch to HDMI input)
- “Alexa, turn TV volume to X“ – (Alexa, turn TV volume to 10)
- “Alexa, pause TV” – (It can be used to play, pause, stop, resume rewind and fast forward)
- “Alexa, turn TV on/off – (You can switch on or switch off the TV with Alexa)
How to Connect your Philips TV to Alexa : Troubleshooting Tips
Generally, the Alexa app will locate your TV with no hassle. However, there are some times when the connection will fail and you will not be able to voice control your Philips TV using Alexa.
There’s no single fix for this, but I’ve tried the following and they improve the chances of both devices connecting.
- In order to successfully connect both devices, your TV and smartphone should be connected to the same network. The TV can be connected to the network wirelessly or with an Ethernet cable.
- During the initial process, make sure your TV is turned on. If the TV is off then your app will not be able to connect to the TV.
- Try not using different accounts on your TV and smartphone app. Ensure that both accounts are the same and especially if you’re currently using Alexa with other Philips Smart home appliances.
Do all Philips TV units support Alexa?
No, only a few of those that were released post 2019 support Alexa such as the OLED Smart Ambilight series and the SAPHI models from 2020 onward.
Why won’t Alexa control my Philips TV even though they are paired?
There are a couple of reasons why Alexa won’t be able to control your Philips TV. One is because there’s been a change in network and the second most likely reason is that your Alexa is paired with multiple devices at the same time, so in order to control your TV, you will need to call it by its name when dictating commands.
Why can’t I switch on/off my Philips TV?
You will not be able to voice control Alexa to switch on/off your TV when the “Alexa Switch On/Off Setting” is not available on the Alexa app. This means that the model of TV you own does not support the feature and you’d have to upgrade to another model that does in order to use this voice command.